#ScentedStories – Amsterdam
We live in an incredibly fragrant world. The sights and sounds we encounter every day are accompanied by a layer of smell that adds texture, colour and depth. Without this fragrant fourth dimension, our experiences of the planet would be less vivid, and certainly less enjoyable. I therefore, think it’s vital that we stop to smell the roses, as it were, and appreciate the joys that the smells around us, both pleasant and unpleasant (and occasionally revolting, gross and repugnant), bring. Even in our busiest moments, we should take stock of the wonderfully fragrant world we live in.
A few weeks back, I paid a nostalgic visit to the British seaside town of Aldeburgh with my family and to honour the sentimental, and smelly, significance of this particular place, I documented the sights and smells of the trip on my
Instagram account, and then later collated them on this blog. A new series, ‘Scented Stories’, was born and over the coming months I intend to further explore this fragrant little place we call Earth with additional instalments that look at the specific scents of interesting places. I encourage you, dear readers, to share your experiences too.
For this latest instalment, I took a spontaneous mini-break to the land of clogs, legalised cannabis, Gouda cheese and trams, so many trams. If you haven’t guessed it yet, I am of course referring to the fascinating city of Amsterdam. So with my iPhone and passport packed, and my husband by my side, I took a short hop across the North Sea for a three day exploration of a picturesque, and laid-back city unlike any another. Below you will find my #ScentedStories snaps, including fragrant captions, as well as some standard holiday selfies, and glamour shots for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!
– 05:47, 10 August 2015 @ Candy Perfume Towers “Getting this #Amsterdam mini break off to a good start in the metallic and white floral-esque black pepper of #MarcJacobs #Bang. #ScentedStories #Perfume #Fragrance”
– 06:27, 10 August 2015 @ Candy Perfume Towers “Shorts game #OnFleek”
– 14:32, 10 August 2015 @ Centraal Station, Amsterdam “#Amsterdam #Trams. The smell of metal dust, hot electricity and well-worn seat fabric #ScentedStories”
– 15:07, 10 August 2015 @ Rene’s Croissants, Amsterdam “Freshly fried batter, unctuos and sweet, tons of sugar, and a dash of Nutella #Amsterdam #ScentedStories”
– 15:27, 10 August 2015 @ Body Worlds, Amsterdam “I’m not sure I want to see what this smells like #BodyWorlds #Amsterdam #ScentedStories”
– 17:19, 10 August 2015 @ The Homomonument, Amsterdam “The #Homomonument. A memorial that commemorates gays and lesbians who have been persecuted for their sexuality. The inscription reads ‘Such an endless desire for friendship’ #Amsterdam”
– 19:55, 10 August 2015 @ Anne Frank Huis, Amsterdam “A sobering visit to the #AnneFrankHouse. The smell of old wood and empty spaces #ScentedStories”
– 20:19, 10 August 2015 @ Assaggi Jordaan, Amsterdam “And now for this. Tart, golden bubbles and the smell of a possible headache #ScentedStories”
– 08:58, 11 August 2015 @citizenM Hotel, Amsterdam “Curious hotel shower gels. The one on the left is an aldehydic, powdery floral a la Chanel Nº22, and the one on the right is pure cut grass. Yes, I used both #Amsterdam #ScentedStories”
– 09:18, 11 August 2015 @ citizenM Hotel, Amsterdam “Day 2 of our #Amsterdam trip and we’re off on a 20km bike tour of the city. My SOTD is therefore, the sporty, yet elite, minty fougére/marine cologne of #AcquaDiParma #ColoniaClub #ScentedStories”
– 10:20, 11 August 2015 @ Museumkwartier, Amsterdam “Sharing adventures with this guy is what it’s all about. He smells amazing, FYI #ScentedStories”
– 10:50, 11 August 2015 @Mike’s Bike Tours, Spiegelkwartier, Amsterdam “Apparently I can’t have this bike for my tour. Sad face. #Amsterdam”
– 11:13, 11 August 2015 @ Amsterdam House Boat “Ring, ring. Rubber, metal and oil #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 11:49, 11 August 2015 @ Amstel River Banks, Amsterdam “We stop for a quick look at the Amstel River. Wet sand, green grass and dirty water. There’s an overriding mineral odour in the air #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 12:02, 11 August 2015 @ Da Windmill, Amsterdam Zuid “A traditional Dutch windmill. It’s now a house! I can’t smell anything but I’m imagining dry hay because of the thatched roof #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 12:14, 11 August 2015 @ Amsterdam Clog and Cheese Factory, Amstelveen, Amsterdam “At the cheese/clog factory where the smell in the air is unequivocally ‘cow’. For someone who grew up in the countryside, the smell of warm animals and manure is a comfort #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 12:15, 11 August 2015 @ Amsterdam Clog and Cheese Factory, Amstelveen, Amsterdam “A room filled to the brim with Gouda. The smell is intoxicating, milky and sour #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 12:15, 11 August 2015 @ Amsterdam Clog and Cheese Factory, Amstelveen, Amsterdam “The smell of the clog workshop is much more subtle – it’s dry and oaky with a dusty, metallic air #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 12:32, 11 August 2015 @ Amsterdam Clog and Cheese Factory, Amstelveen, Amsterdam “And a glamour shot for your nerves. Dutch milkmaid realness #Amsterdam”
– 13:30, 11 August 2015 @ Amstelveen, Amsterdam “Aw man, I missed out on the opportunity to ride RuPaul in #Amsterdam today #SuperCycleoftheWorld”
– 15:32, 11 August 2015 @ Magnum Pleasures Store, Amsterdam “Build your own #Magnum. Mine was white chocolate with marshmallows, strawberry sugar and rose petals. The smell? Turkish Delight! #ScentedStories #Amsterdam #MagnumAmsterdam”
– 16:58, 11 August 2015, Los Pilanes, Spiegelkwartier, Amsterdam “Even in #Amsterdam there is time for nachos. They smell of mature cheese, onion and piquant jalapeño peppers #ScentedStories”
– 21:30, 11 August 2015 @ Kadinsky Coffeeshop, Langebrugsteeg, Amsterdam “The #Amsterdam coffeeshop has a very distinct smell. Weed, obviously. As one walks through the city one encounters occasional pops of cloud containing the bitter and rooty fire that is unmistakably marijuana #ScentedStories”
– 09:56, 12 August 2015 @ citizenM Hotel, Amsterdam “After a stroll through the red light district last night (not a place I’d like to visit again), today’s SOTD needs to be clean. What better than the metallic space lemons and tornado musks of #CologneIndelebile by #EditionsDesParfums #FredericMalle? #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 10:23, 12 August 2015 @ citizenM Hotel, Amsterdam “They have some interesting books in this hotel, especially this aptly named David LaChapelle photo book, which is almost as big as I am #Amsterdam”
– 11:57, 12 August 2015 @ I Amsterdam Museumplein, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam “Another #Amsterdam glamour shot. I call this one ‘Tragedy when Wasps Attack'”
– 12:33, 12 August 2015 @ Prinsengracht, Amsterdam “Lovers’ locks on one of #Amsterdam’s many bridges. The smell of bronze, rusty metal and marker pen, with a whiff of green canal in the background #ScentedStories”
– 12:56, 12 August 2015 @ Studio 2, Seventeenth Century Canal Ring, Amsterdam “Cooked bananas smell like a touch of ylang and cheese but are delicious when surrounded by pancake batter and drizzled with syrup #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 15:31, 12 August 2015 @ Vondelpark, Amsterdam “Chilling in the Vondelpark with my BFF (who has taken charge of #Selfie duty) before we catch our flight this evening. I smell his fragrance (Aqua Universalis), grass, new jumpers, weed, dogs and lake water #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 16:15, 12 August 2015 @ Stadionkade, Amsterdam “We could smell the gorgeous herbal caramel scent of this lavender plant long before we could see it. If only we could smell the bees too! #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
– 16:44, 12 August 2015 @ citizenM Hotel, Amsterdam “Our Scented Story of #Amsterdam is almost over and @nigeldunckley, and I are celebrating the end of a fantastic trip with a complimentary cocktail at our hotel (what could be better than free alcohol?!) #ScentedStories #BlackberryDaiquiri”
– 21:23, 12 August 2015 @ Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam “Goodbye #Amsterdam”
– 22:09, 12 August 2015 @ Candy Perfume Towers “Finally! The comforting smell of home. Cat fur and clean carpets #ScentedStories #Amsterdam”
Our next instalment of Scented Stories will be coming to you from Sardinia in October. Stay tuned!
Join the Discussion!
Have you ever visited Amsterdam? What did it smell like to you? Let me know in the comments box below!
All images are my own.